Wednesday, January 27, 2010

.manfrotto is the man!

sooner or later.

"If I am going to be doing a lot of landscape (particularly HDR) shots, I'll need a good tripod sooner or later." This is what I've been telling myself for the past year.

A couple of weeks ago, I'd finally purchased a better tripod – The Manfrotto 190XB with the 128RC head. Great for all kinds of shots, including videos. :) I think this will last me for many years to come.

It's definitely a whole lot better than my old $30 tripod, the one that ruined all my New Years eve fireworks photographs and can't even support my 350D + 24-105mm. We actually tested it out in Heathcote, 100km+ away from Melbourne the other night and it was great!

I got it off JB Hi-fi on Elizabeth Street for $370 (original price was about $400), and got a further 30-plus-dollars back from the Tourist Refund Scheme at the airport.Not too bad I reckon, and the guy at the security check-point in the airport showed quite a bit of interest in my tripod.

Security guy: Wow is that a tripod??? That looks pretty good! What kind of photography do you do? Wedding?
Me: Yeah it's a good one.. Hmm I do all sorts of stuff I guess, landscape, wedding, whatever comes by.
Security guy: So this is Manfrotto hey.. Hmm I think I'm going to get one of these too. *wink*
SF & I: LOL

And the first thing my parents said to me was not "You're back!".. Instead, they were looking at the tripod, looking amused, and asked, "What's that?? What did you buy again??" And I told them the whole story of having-to-bring-this-back-for-tax-refund-purposes. I hope they'll be alright with me wanting to take this on our family holiday to Bali later next month, since they'd always complain that I over pack on vacations. :P

1 comment:

genotypewriter said...

My parents are the same. They're like "why did you bring that? it's so much trouble to carry back... you're going to have too much weight!" blah blah blah...

It's a nice tripod. Hope to see lots of shots with it!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin